If your organisation has asked you to get a Working with Children Check, or you’ve used our interactive tool and determined that you need a Check, you can apply in just four steps.

Before you begin, it’s important to know that your application must be true and correct, so make sure that all dates, names and details are accurate on your application form. It is an offence to provide false or misleading information in the application.

Step 1: Complete an online application

The information on this page is for applicants applying in Victoria. Interstate applicants please see our interstate applicant information guide for instructions.

To apply in Victoria use this link:

Apply from Victoria (External link)

If you’re applying from interstate, use this link:

Apply from interstate


Step 2: Provide proof of identity

As part of your application, you’ll need to verify your identity with us. You can do this in two ways: online, or in-person at a participating Australia Post outlet.

Verify your identity online

Australia Post (acting as our agent) will perform your identity verification using Digital iD™. Online verification with Digital iD™ is fast, safe and secure. 

You can verify your identity online if you have one document from each of these lists:

Photo ID
•    Australian driver licence or learner permit
•    Australian passport (an expired passport may be used if it expired less than three years ago)
•    ImmiCard issued by the Australian Government

Other government-issued ID
•    Medicare card
•    Foreign passport with Australian visa
•    Australian birth certificate
•    Australian citizenship certificate
•    Pensioner concession card
•    Health care card
•    Commonwealth seniors health card

Your identity documents must be current and show the same name and date of birth.

If you successfully verify your identity online, you’ll just need to present one acceptable photo ID document at Australia Post when you lodge your application.

Verify your identity in-person

To verify in-person, you must take three original proof of identity documents with you to a participating Australia Post outlet (External link). The three documents must be current and when combined, show your full name, date of birth and photo.

You can’t use two of the same type of identity documents to make up the three documents. For example, you can’t use two different credit cards. With the exception of Foreign Passports, all proof of identity documentation must be Australian issued.

You can choose ONE of the following options:

  • one primary document and two secondary documents

  • two primary documents and one secondary document, or

  • three primary documents.

If your name is different on your identity documents

You must enter your full legal name in your application form and it must match each of your identity documents.  If not, you must provide a document that links your different names.
You can use any of these documents:

  • marriage certificate
  • change of name certificate (issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages)
  • divorce papers linking both names
  • deed poll
  • foreign marriage certificate (translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translator service)



Primary Documents

Documents Name DOB Photo
Australian Passport (dated up to three years after the expiry date)

Foreign passport


Current Australian visa or document for travel within Australia


Australian driver's licence


Australian driver's learner's permit


Immigration (Immi) card


Australian birth certificate issued by Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages


Australian citizenship certificate


Medicare card


Marriage certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages


Keypass ID card



Secondary documents

Documents Name DOB Photo

Australian firearms licence

Government issued proof of age card

Victorian marine licence

Centrelink card (showing reference number)


Australian certificate of resident status


DVA card


Tertiary student ID card


Secondary student ID card


Private security individual operator licence


Private health insurance card


Australian bank issued credit or account bank card (American Express or Diners Club not accepted)


Superannuation statement (up to 24 months old)


Australian Tax Office taxation assessment notice (up to 24 months old)


Motor vehicle registration (up to 12 months old)


Utilities notice (up to 12 months old)


Council rates notice (up to 12 months old)


Financial institution statement (up to 12 months old)


Electoral voting enrolment


Rental contract or receipt issued by landlord, agent, owner (up to 12 months old)


Seniors card


Visa entitlement verification online (VEVO) statement


VIT registration card


Victoria police member ID card (sworn and unsworn members)


ADF ID card


Commonwealth / state government ID card


Aviation security ID card


Maritime security ID card


Step 3: Lodge your application at an Australia Post outlet

Once you’ve completed your online application, you’ll get an email with instructions on how to finalise your application at Australia Post.

Next, take your application and documents to a participating Australia Post outlet and have your photo taken (at no charge to you).

Step 4: Pay the application fee

Here are the application fees for the Checks in the present and next financial year. You can pay the relevant fee with cash, Visa, MasterCard, EFTPOS, money order or bank cheque at a participating Australia Post outlet when you lodge your application.

Fees valid till June 30 2022

Volunteer Check /  Renewal of Volunteer Check / Replacement of Volunteer card Employee Check  Volunteer to Employee Check Renewal of Employee Check Replacement of Employee Check card
$0.00 $121.10 $121.10 $91.70 $7.50


Fees from 1 July 2022

Volunteer Check /  Renewal of Volunteer Check / Replacement of Volunteer card Employee Check  Volunteer to Employee Check Renewal of Employee Check Replacement of Employee Check card
$0.00 $123.20 $123.20 $93.30 $7.60

After you’ve lodged your application, you’ll receive your application number the next business day via email. You can then use this number to track your application.

Lodged your application? Find out what happens next.

Related pages