As a Working with Children Check cardholder, you have certain legal responsibilities under the Working with Children Act 2005 (the Act) and the Working with Children Regulations 2016 (the Regulations).

For information on what might happen if you breach the Act or the Regulations, see our offences and penalties page.

When you get your card

Show your card to every organisation you do child-related work for, and make sure you provide your card information to them before you start working.

You are responsible for:

  • keeping your card in a safe place
  • making sure your personal and organisation’s details are up to date
  • not letting anyone else use your card for child-related work
  • letting us know if any of your circumstances change, including if you are charged with or found guilty of any offences
  • renewing your card before it expires if you are, or will still be doing, child-related work
  • changing your card from volunteer to employee if have a volunteer card but are going to do paid child-related work.

Register for a MyCheck account

Now that you have your card, you can register for a MyCheck account online. You can use your MyCheck account to do a number of things, such as:

  • renew your card
  • update your details
  • replace your card
  • switch from Volunteer to Employee status

How we monitor your card

We are continually notified about new charges or offences for the lifetime of your card, which is why it’s important to keep your details up to date.

If we determine that you no longer pass the Working with Children Check, we’ll revoke your card and you will not legally be able to engage in child-related work. This also applies if you’re charged with or found guilty of an offence against the Act.

If you hand your card back to us we won’t continue to monitor for any new charges or offences and you won’t legally be able to do child-related work, unless an exemption under the Act applies (see 'When you don’t need a Check').

If your circumstances change

You must let us and your organisation/s know in writing within seven days if your circumstances change in any of the following ways:

  • you are charged with, convicted, or found guilty of a category A or B sexual, violent or drug offence (as defined in the Act), or the charge has been finally dealt with by a court in some way
  • a relevant professional conduct finding is made against you
  • you are subject to obligations or orders under:
    • Part 3 of the Sex Offenders Registration Act 2004
    • the Serious Sex Offenders Monitoring Act 2005
  • you become subject to a supervision order, detention order or an emergency detention order.

If you need to replace your card

You can replace a lost, stolen or damaged card online. There’s a fee for replacing an Employee card, but Volunteer cards are free.

If you change your name

If you would like your card in your new name, complete the change of name form, not the replacement card form.

Once you complete the online change of name form you’ll get an email with a 'Change of name summary' which explains how to submit your application. 

How to return your card

You may need to hand your card back to us because:

  • you’ve stopped doing paid or voluntary child-related work
  • you’ve changed your name and have been issued with another valid card
  • the department has revoked your card and told you to return it.

You don’t need to apply for a new card if you change organisations. You can add your new organisation by updating your details online.

If you want to cancel your card, you can do so by:

  1. signing a statement declaring that you are the holder of the card and that you want to cancel it, or that you are returning it at the department’s direction.
  2. including your current address, as the department will let you know in writing when the card is cancelled
  3. mailing your card and statement to us at:

          Working with Children Check Victoria
          Department of Justice and Community Safety
          GPO Box 1915
          Melbourne VIC 3001

We’ll also notify the organisations you’ve listed with us that your card has been cancelled. 

If your card is suspended

Your Working with Children Check card can be suspended. While your card is suspended, you can’t do child-related work.

Your card will be suspended if you:

  • are charged with, convicted, or found guilty of any sexual, violent or drug offence specified in clause 2 of Schedule 3 of the Working with Children Act 2005, or
  • become subject to:
    • reporting obligations under Part 3 of the Sex Offenders Registration Act 2004
    • an extended supervision order or interim extended supervision order under the Serious Sex Offenders Monitoring Act 2005
    • a supervision order, detention order or emergency detention order.

We'll notify you as soon as possible if your card is suspended, using the contact details currently listed with us.

Until we complete a reassessment of your case, your card remains suspended and you can’t do child-related work.

Your card may be reinstated if a charge against you is withdrawn, dismissed, or you are acquitted by a court.

Need to update your details or renew your card? Log into your MyCheck account

Related information